- Dahi Vada is a type of Indian chat that is loved by all. This recipe is popular mainly because it is easy to make and cheap and quick. You can have it on special occasions and even as a summer evening snack. I made it on a lazy day for dinner. Good thing my family eats about anything I make. Doesn’t it look colour full? 🙂
- A word of caution: You need to prepare the ingredients beforehand because they take a while
Serves: 4 Time: hour
For the Vada:
1. Black Gram (Urad Dal) : 250 gms.
For the chutney(Sauce):
1. Curd (Dahi) : 500 gms.
2. Mint (Pudina) : 1 bunch
3. Coriander leaves : 1 bunch
4. Salt : According to taste
5. Green Chilly : 4-5 Nos.
6. Tamarind (Imali) : 100 gms.
7. Jaggery (Gud) : 50 gms.
8. Red Chilli whole : 8-10 pieces
9. Black Cumin(Jeera) Whole : 4 spoon
1. Soak Urad dal for 4-5 hours
2. Grind the soaked dal in a mixer to make a paste (add a little water to the mixer while making the paste).
3. Make 24 balls (Vada) of the paste and deep fry them in a wok.
4. Dip the fried balls in salt water (1 spoon of salt and 2 lts. of water) and keep them aside.
For Green Chutney:
5. Take pudina patta, green chillies and a little curd. Grind them with water to make a paste. Add little salt as per taste. Keep it aside.
For Tamarind Chutney:
6. Take the tamarind and soak them in hot water till they are soft.
7. Smash them and make a paste.
8. Take frying pan and heat a little oil in it.
9. Add 2 red dry chilies and sauté it.
10. Add the tamarind paste to the sautéed chilies in the pan and stir for 5 minutes then add Gud(jaggery) and stir till the gud melts.
11. Add salt as per taste.
For White Sauce:
12. Take curd and beat it smooth.
13. Add a little sugar or sugar free.
14. Add black salt.
15. Mix them properly.
16. Take red chilies whole and jeera whole and roast them in a dry frying pan then grind them into a fine powder.
Now for spread,
17. Take a plate big enough to accommodate 6 vadas.
18. Take the vadas one by one and remove the excess water by squeezing them with your palms gently.
19. Place the vadas on the serving plate.
20. Spread white sauce (dahi sauce) over the vadas
21. Spread Green chutney over the vadas
22. Spread Imili chutney over the vadas
Note: You can use a big spoon to pour the chutneys (sauces) over the vadas.
23. Garnish with the red chili and jeera powder
24. Best served cold 🙂